Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The End of a Journey; The Beginning of a Lifetime

This is it. The end of the fast, but most definitely the beginning of a new and incredible lifetime of becoming the woman of God that I was created to be. This Daniel fast was the longest duration of commitment I had made to God, and one so challenging for me because I love food! But by the strength of Christ within me and some true determination, I made it through with no slip-ups or falterings. I was tempted, but I prevailed. I desired, but I prevailed. Christ had given me the victory over this journey as long as I chose to receive it and apparently I did!!

Unfortunately I wasn't as successful in some of the "make my life better" goals that I had set for myself, but the spiritual growth I experienced far outweighs any of the gains I would've received by accomplishing the physical and tangible goals I had set. During this fast God let me in a few not-so-secrets that I had yet to understand.

1. I was created perfectly. When God formed me, He made me perfectly with no mistakes. Although I may have allowed the world and the circumstances I've been through to taint this perfection, or rather paint over it, I still have the power to recognize and strip away those "worldly" layers on my personality and get back to a place of perfection in Christ.

2. Pastor Steven has often said this statement, "It's not a project, it's a process", and although I can remember him saying it, I always found myself getting discouraged and disappointed with myself when my progress didn't seem well enough, when I hadn't completely overcome that sin, when I wasn't perfect. But God reminded me that not only will I never be completely perfected until the day I join Him in heaven, but that all He wants is effort and growth, no matter how small the margin. God delights in each baby step we take. And whether we choose to recognize and celebrate those victories, our Heavenly Father is smiling on us from above in each battle we win over the enemy and sin.

3. I have victory!! When I decided to participate in this fast I was a little concerned that I wouldn't make it simply because I love food and my track record with sticking to decisions was pretty shady, but as this fast progressed I began to see that if I have determination in my heart, that Christ will give me the strength to overcome the struggles presented along the way.

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. -1 Cor 10:13

Here's the thing, the scripture says "He will also provide...", it doesn't say that He will remove the temptation, but rather He will provide and WE have to CHOOSE to receive that provision and take full advantage of it as a child of God. It was during this fast that I noticed that if I switched my train of thought to Jesus during those times of temptation, that somehow the temptation would die down or my will power would increase, maybe not instantly, maybe not in such a powerful way that my mind was blown, but rather in the quieter mystery that God so often works in; moments would pass without my knowing and suddenly I'd look back to realize that the temptation hadn't won and I'd overcome. Christ has given me victory over all.

I'm proud to say that I know I'm a better woman because of this fast and I'm so happy that I decided to take it on. For 21 days I felt as though I was really opened up to hearing and receiving from God without defense or fear of what He might instruct me to or want me to learn, and now my challenge is to continuously keep myself that vulnerable and available to God everyday. It's so easy to allow our lives, schedules, deadlines, and to-do lists to clutter our thoughts which then cloud our hearts and make it harder for us to focus on God. Although my fast is over, my journey to continue to seek God is not. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment